Friday, 11 January 2013

7. Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product ?

Task 11 - Question 7. what do you feel you have learnt?
by: tamika



Photography
During my photography session I learnt that eye contact is a key point, to engage with the audience and creates a different feeling to the photo. By not having eye-contact it can make the audience lost interest in the photo or the person however, if eye-contact is applied then it’s the main focal point of the photo and grabs their attention.
The front cover is the main attraction for a magazine as it’s the first thing that is seeing on a magazine. During the period of creating our magazine, we had did research on newsstands in shops. What I found most interesting is that some magazine had anchorages (text that relates to the image). If there wasn't text to relate to the image, the photo would give a subliminal message. I had learnt how to do this from looking at an example from VIBE magazine. Where the text says “T.I has the last laugh”, is related to his facial expression (smiling).
 

In my research I had recognized that the best camera shots/angles to be done when doing a magazine should be taken as a close up. Close ups enable the audience to feel up close and personal with the model. I had included this in my photography when taking shots of the model – as the photographs were taken later in the day, so doing lose ups was the best option to capture the model clearly and have enough light in the photograph.

1.   Journalism/research
In the DPS, it contained an interview with a new artist. For my interview research needs to be taken place to find out what viewers would expect or want to know about the artist. If the DPS contains what the readers want then, it would be interesting and more fun for them to read.
The Use of language features will make the text more appealing and eye catching. E.g. pull quotes are effective; they highlight/emphasize a key topic. 

2.   Target Audience

While I was creating my magazine , I had noticed that your target audience is very important as they are the people who you are directly aiming your magazine at and who are reading/buying them. Doing case studies on people who listen to the music genre you produce for will enable you to know what to include in your magazine. E.g. case studies will enable you to know: the age range of who reads or listens to that particular genre, what they may look like, their class etc. Doing research on my genre had help be a lot to understand what I need to feed to my audience. 
 

College and Music magazine comparison


FRONT COVER




















                 College Magazine                                                                                 Music Magazine
 


Looking at my preliminary task to the music magazine, in my college magazine i had used less subheadings on my front over, subheading design and where text are placed on the contents page. I believe that i have more of a great understanding of where to place magazine features and how to make a particular page stand out. The front cover for my college magazine was very plain and had a lot of space that could've been filled up with, I think more should've been added to the front cover e.g. a freebie. By adding a freebie or sort of advertisement would make the front cover more interesting and probably more intriguing to the college students. The masthead on my music magazine is not very bold nor very appealing, despite the fact that the masthead has a little shade effect behind the text. In comparison to my music magazine it's quite 3D like, the colours used for the masthead makes it stand out from the rest of the front cover and the red box behind the masthead brings out the text more. The barcode on the college should've been away from the edge of the magazine. The front cover image of the preliminary task needed more light as its quite dark and would've balanced out the colours used for the coverlines.


CONTENTS PAGE




















               College magazine                                                                                        Music Magazine

(College Magazine) The contents page looked as if there wasn't much research done, on how college magazines or any other magazine should look like. The Main Subheadings should've been more bold to emphasis and make it more clear to the audience to which are the main headlines of the magazine. The page number are not the same size and looks very unprofessional. 'Leyton Borough needs 100m...See head of sports' - there are no details for the students to contact the head of sports, especially if they don't know where to find the head of sports.  In comparison to my music magazine, the contents page has regulars and more information which is what the target audience want.  I also used a colour scheme which makes the page more organised and portrays my professionalism. I go into more detail about the main pages of the magazine to feed the audience with more information of what the page will contain.


My Improvements

  •  I have learnt the main areas that need to be covered and planned before you create your magazine. Each area has to have a lot of thought and planning to it but especially the research, which is the main priority. Doing research makes you aware of what every other magazine does and allows you to know how to make your magazine different from others; having the knowledge and understanding of what is required on magazines enables you to expand your ideas. 
  • I've improved on the layout of my images and text - there should enough space so that everything that is on the page is clear and visible.
  • Choosing the right colours is important as you want the magazine to  be appealing and also be able to target your audience. e.g. if your target audience for your magazine is specifically for little girls, age range 7-12 then colours like pink, purple are suitable.
  • Any type of data or information that you believe is important for audience, should shown clearly and be obvious that it is important for them.
  •  Clothing that the model wears is also important to attract the auidence - For my music magazine I told my model what to wear for the shoot and i also provided some accessories also.
  • I have also improved on Indesign and Photoshop, I'm able to change the contrast of photos, use rulers and fully align text and images.



No comments:

Post a Comment